Friday, February 13, 2009

Week 6 Post (February 17)

I really enjoyed these readings. From working in the child development lab, I have seen many of the visual supports described in the "Quick and Easy Adaptions and Accommodations for Early Childhood Students." I know not only what they look like, but I have seen how they work. Several of these visual supports, like the daily schedule and weather chart were used beginning on the first day of school. Other supports, like an individual chart with specific choices for free choice, and PECS books were implemented after school began. I was able to see how these tools affected the independence of one of the autistic boys in the classroom. Before these supports were used, he might wander around the room during free choice, or cry uncontrollably when he could not do what he wanted to. The chart helped him know what to expect for the day, and the individual choices helped him see what was available in the classroom and decide what he wanted to do. The PECS book helped him communicate how he was feeling and what he needed, allowing the teachers to cater to his needs and be more effective in calming him down because the teachers now knew what he was feeling. Both of these options GREATLY increased his independence in the classroom. I was also excited to read about these supports, because I feel like we have not had much guidance as to how to best include children with special needs in our classroom. This chapter provided many useful ideas that I have seen work. Because the chapter detailed how to make each visual aid, I feel confident not only in how to use them, but how to create them and make them fit my classroom perfectly.

I was intrigued by the reading on Marcus. What still haunts me from this reading is the passage, "However, because of the gifted characteristics of Marcus demonstrated, his slowly developing fine-motor control was interpreted as stubbornness and poor attitude. The expectations in the gifted class placed heavy pressures on him to perform in writing, which he was not physically able to do." (Emphasis added) This reminded me of something very important. Just because children excelled in one area does not mean they will excel in all areas. Because Marcus was so gifted in some areas, teachers assumed that he could do everything, he just didn't want to. In reality he did not want to because he did not want to fail. Having this misconception caused many negative feelings between Marcus and his teacher, to the point that his parents moved him to a different school. If that teacher would have challenged herself to believe that Marcus wanted to write, and that the problem was not his attitude but another factor, perhaps he would have had a more pleasant school experience. If his teacher was able to explore how he could write, or how he felt about writing verse telling stories, or differentiated instruction in anyway, she could have learned that Marcus physically could not do what she was asking him to do. This would cause anyone frustration. This points out how important it is to meet the needs of all students and become really in tune to what they can and cannot do, and what they enjoy. This will make us all better more effective teachers.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that we as teachers need to become in tune with what our students can and cannot do. I think that is a great way of putting it. After monday's class I have realized even more how important it is to be able to differentiate instructions. I was also intrigued by the Marcus story and it just got me thinking how we need to focus on making sure every student it grasping the concepts.

    As far as the adaptation article I'm noticing in my classroom too a lot of everyday norms. Our class also uses a daily chart and weather calendar. I think that's really a great experience that you were able to see how visual aids helped an autistic boy in the classroom. From what you've said it sounds like the Child Development Lab is a great place to observe!

    ReplyDelete